- Hanna Theele, Europa-Universität Flensburg
- Dr. Thomas Duttle, Europa-Universität Flensburg
Europa-Universität Flensburg (EUF) is dedicated to the internationalizing teacher education. Teacher education students are in the focus of EUF´s internationalization strategy: every student is to be given the opportunity of spending a successful semester abroad. But for those students in particular, international mobility proves to be a special challenge. Studying three subjects (pedagogy, subject a and subject b), students are confronted with a more complex situation than students of mono-subject degrees (e.g. Business Studies). The recognition of courses taken abroad is one of the most important topics when deciding for (or against) a semester abroad. EUF is driving the mobility of students through innovative approaches in recognition processes which have been established in 2015/06 and were awarded by the DAAD Bologna hub prize in 2017.
EUF strategy follows an innovative approach to guarantee a successful stay abroad in the Bachelor's degree program:
- Introduction of a mobility window (5th semester) (25 subjects define their modules focusing on general competences)
- Creation of a position of recognition coordinator (within the IC) for the entire teacher training recognition process
- Centralized advice and information services
- All paperwork and workflows
- Credit recognition upon return to EUF
- Searchable database of recognized courses
- Detailed information resources on study abroad options
- Shift of responsibility from departments to one coordinator
- Simplified procedure for students (“one-stop-shop” principle)
- Safe, standardized and transparent process
…. These measures have already led to an increase in mobility figures in teacher training programs.
Perspectives: Standardized accreditation in close networks:
Jointly with five partner universities (in France, Ireland, Slovakia and Norway) EUF is cooperating within the "eMerge" network (European Margins Engaging for Regional and Global Empowerment). Activities include joint development in the field of virtual mobility and virtual exchange. Cooperation includes
- Best practice learning, e.g. in the field of recognition processes (networking of the International Offices: first staff week, e.g. exchange on recognition procedures).
- Full recognition of teaching units, modules, etc. among partners
- to increase mobility numbers
- to smoothen mobility process
- to standardize recognition in virtual mobility
- Perspective: development of innovative forms of joint teaching and learning (networking of teachers)
Academic Recognition Coordinator, Europa-Universität Flensburg
Hanna Theele is a member of staff at Europa-Universität Flensburg, Germany. Since 2015, she has been working as Academic Recognition Coordinator at the institution´s International Center. Her focus is on teacher education students (advice, information, and recognition).
Coordinator for International Cooperation and Virtual Mobility, Europa-Universität Flensburg, Germany
Dr. Thomas Duttle is a member of staff at Europa-Universität Flensburg (EUF), Germany. He started his current position as Coordinator of International Cooperation and Virtual Mobility in November 2021. During the last five years, he was taking care of another aspect of internationalization, coordinating the EUF’s preparation program for prospective students with a refugee background.
Before that, Dr. Thomas Duttle served as Coordinator of Internationalization and Coordinator of Fundraising, Scholarship and Endowment Matters at the University of Konstanz, Germany, where he had graduated and received his doctorate.